Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Mer Soleil Silver Chardonnay

While browsing the wine department of my local Kroger I spoted this unique bottle.  Intrigued, I picked it up and read the label.  It was from Mer Soleil (a Wagner family vineyard, as is Caymus) and  fermented in cement tanks (I saw these French cement eggs, and learned about them, when I visited Rudd winery last month in my Culinary Institute of American wine class).  I began to reminisce about my wonderful trip to California and I just had to taste a wine fermented in cement tanks!  Parting with $30 didn't thrill me especially since I do not enjoy unoaked Chardonnay.  Ever hopeful, I put the wine in my grocery cart.

Cement eggs, from France, for fermentation (Rudd Winery).


Mer Soleil 2009 SILVER Unoaked Chardonnay is from the Santa Lucia Highlands of Monterey County, California.  It is bottled in a silver-gray ceramic bottle that is "meant to reflect the cement vessels that we use when fermenting and aging Silver Chardonnay."*  The wine's color is straw.  An earthy and mineral aroma and flavor.  There was also a tart finish on my palate, but it was not a citrus tartness.  Looking at the winemaker's notes, I believe the tartness was gooseberry.  (Dave and I did not get any citrus on our palate.)  Crisp and refreshing.  Nice acidity and balanced.  I can see this pairing easily, and perfectly, with food.  Better than a Chardonnay from stainless tanks.  Glad I spent the $30.  

Winemaker's Notes:  The wine is fermented and aged in natural cement tanks imported from France, allowing for this varietal's clean aromas to shine bright.  This wine sees no wood, helping to maintain the bright fruit characters and minerality produced from the Chardonnay grapes.
     Mineral driven nose with citrus shining through.  Cement tank fermentation and aging bring out aromas remindful of the first rain of the season or a wet rock.  Soft and round entry with an acid backbone informs you these grapes are grown in a cooler climate.  Mid palate reveals ripe fruit such as lemons, gooseberry and grapefruit.  Finishes dry while the acid comes and goes in a balanced fashion.  Laser sharp minerality carries through from start to finish on both palate and aroma. 

*From the back label of the wine bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment