Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chateau Ste. Michelle Eroica Riesling, 2010

I've been sidetracked, yet again, in reviewing wine.  However, I have not been sidetracked from tasting wine.  For a while I was pouring the same old, same old.  Finally new wines are coming in to the store.  One of the latest wines I've tasted out is Chateau Ste. Michelle's Eroica.  

Chateau Ste. Michelle Eroica ($20) is 100% Riesling from Washington state. It is a collaborative effort between Chateau Ste. Michelle  and Dr. Loosen (Germany).  Both wonderful Riesling producers in their own rights. Eroica combines new world (Chateau Ste. Michelle) and old world (Dr. Loosen) styles using Washington state grapes.  I found the aroma floral and fruity.  On my palate I tasted peach (more so than mandarin orange - see Winemaker's Notes below), minerality, and a hint of citrus.  Enjoyable.  Customers also enjoyed this wine.  However, I will admit that for $20 I do not find Eroica any more enjoyable than Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling or Dr. Loosen Rielsing (I have been enjoying both for years) and these are half the price.  If you want to splurge then try Eroica.  If it's not in your budget, then try the Riesling from the individual winemakers.  Which ever you purchase you will not be sorry.

Winemaker's Notes:  The 2010 Eroica Riesling exudes mandarin orange and sweet lime aromas and flavors with subtle mineral notes.  The mouth-watering acidity is beautifully balanced by flavorful Washington Riesling fruit.  After a more than a decade we have truly found our “Eroica style,” striving for beautiful bright fruit with crisp acidity and enhanced mineralilty.  Pairs well with Asian dishes, Indian curries, crab, and scallops.


Note:  As an aside this collaborative effort was also used to produce Saint M using German grapes.  I have not had a current vintage, but did taste this a few years ago.  I must admit that when I tasted it I did not find it to be as enjoyable as Eroica or their other Rieslings.

No comments:

Post a Comment