Friday, April 15, 2011

Removing Wine Labels

Here's a tip for removing labels from wine bottles:

What you will need:
     1/4 cup ammonia
     hot water
     razor blade
     paper towel 

1.  Put the drain stopper in your sink.   

2.  Add 1/4 cup ammonia and begin filling sink with warm water.  You only need enough water to cover the bottle(s). 

3. As sink fills, fill wine bottle(s) with water (so it will stay submerged), and then lay it in the water with the label facing down. 

4. Let the bottles soak for 30 minutes. 

5. If label does not fall off, use a razor blade to gently remove label. Edge the blade toward the bottle and not toward the label.  Facing the blade toward the label as you work can result in tearing the label.

6. Lay label on a paper towel to dry. 

I find this method works on 90% of the wine labels I try to remove.  I save my wine bottles until I have enough to fit in the sink (about 6 or 7 bottles).  

I have tried Label Savers from Wine Enthusiast. These did not work well.  I had a 10% success rate and returned them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment