Thursday, April 14, 2011

Yalumba Riesling 2008

At a few of my wine tastings customers have asked  what I knew about Yalumba 2008 Riesling.  Aside from the fact that it was from South Australia and therefore probably a dry Riesling, and not sweet, I knew nothing about it.  With all the customer interest my curiosity was peaked and I had to try it.  

The Yalumba 2008 Riesling is dry (not sweet or fruity).  It had a hint of lime with a tart finish and there was more acidity than I was use to in a Riesling. This was not balanced and the long lingering finish was an annoying tartness and acidity.  The winemakers notes make this sound wonderful but they did not describe the wine I was tasting.   I did not enjoy the Yalumba Riesling, and much prefer Chateau Ste. Michelle Dry Riesling from Washington State hands down. But that's a blog for another time.  

Winemaker's Notes:  Pale green hues, this wine has a spice and aromatic profile showing feijoa, lemongrass, rose petals and tropical fruit.  Long, fine and refreshing the Yalumba Y series Riesling shows grapefruit flavours with balanced mineral acidity and fruit sweetness.  This leads to a long lingering flavour and persistence on the palate.

No comments:

Post a Comment