Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chateau Ste. Michelle Pinot Gris, 2009

I often recommend Chateau Ste. Michelle Riesling wines to customers. They are crisp and refreshing. I finally had to try their Pinot Gris as I needed a change of pace.   

Chateau Ste. Michelle 2009 Pinot Gris ($11) is from the Columbia Valley in Washington State.  This is 94% Pinot Gris blended with 6% Viognier.  The aroma was pear and light citrus with a hint of grassiness.  The flavor was  a light pear with grassiness and a tart pith finish.  I found it a delightful change from the Italian Pinot Grigio's I've tasted.  When I tasted this with a spicy stir-fry that I prepared the tart pith finish rounded out to a nicely balanced and smooth wine.  I'll recommend this wine to my customers.   

Winemaker's Notes:  Our Pinot Gris style falls between the lighter Italian Pinot Grigio and the richer, rounder Pinot Gris from Alsace. The Chateau Ste. Michelle Pinot Gris offers fresh aromas and flavors of pear, fig and a hint of spice. A touch of Viognier contributes texture and an attractive floral character. This wine is a perfect match with scallops or halibut.  Pairs with:  shellfish, cream based dished, fruit and cheese.  Herbs:  tarragon and anise.

No comments:

Post a Comment