Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Beachhouse Red and White (Blends)

I worked this past Tuesday as our wine was on sale at The Fresh Market.  I tasted out two wines that are perfect for summer. The Beachhouse White and The Beachhouse Red from Daniel Green Winery in the Western Cape, South Africa.  Both are easy pairing (which I love) and enjoyable (who doesn't love that?).  Some customers purchased this wine not just because it was enjoyable, but would make a great gift for friends they were visiting at the beach.

The Beachhouse White ($9.99 reg./$6 sale) is a blend of 80% Sauvignon Blanc and 20% Semillion.  The aroma was all citrus (not as bold and fruit forward as your New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs).  The flavor was a mild lemongrass with a hint of herbaciousness and citrus.  It finished with gooseberry tartness. Crisp and refreshing.  Customers enjoyed and this sold very well. 

Winemaker's Notes:  Twinkling bright and pale straw with playful lemongras and gooseberry aromas layered with hints of honeysuckle and tangerine that race across the palate in a refreshing burst of tantalising citrus fruit finishing with vibrant crispness.  The moderate alcohol makes this wine deliciously drinkable.

The Beachhouse Red ($9.99 reg./$6 sale) is a blend of 75% Shiraz, 20% Mourvedre and 5% Viognier.  The flavor was a a quick flash of fruit followed by spice and pepper.  Acidity and tannins were not noticable.  (I do not enjoy wines that have a lot of acidity or are tannic.)  All I could think of during this tasting was going home and grilling a steak or enjoying a big juicy hamburger.  Customers enjoyed this wine and it SOLD OUT.

Winemaker's Notes:  Ravishing ruby red colour with heaps of pepper and mulberry flavours on the nose.  On the palate the acidity and residual sugar are well balanced to create an easy drinking, well rounded red wine.  The mid-palate allows for juicy berry flavours.


Customer Interaction
When I pour the wines for my customers one of the points of information I tell them is where the wine is from.  In this case, South Africa.  For this tasting I had one customer ask me, "where specifically?"  So I told her, "Western Cape."  Her reply, "oh, from Cape Cod."  I guess she was geographically challenged.

No comments:

Post a Comment