Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Clos du Bois Chardonnay, 2010

As excited as I was this weekend to pour a new wine (see yesterdays post for Clos du Bois Rouge) I was also cringing at having to pour, yet again, Clos du Bois Chardonnay.  The only saving grace was that this was a new vintage so I tried to be optimistic and hope for the best.

Clos du Bois 2010 Chardonnay ($10) is from North Coast, California.  It is 100% Chardonnay and both barrel and stainless fermented undergoing 100% malolactic fermentation (this giving me high hopes).  It is then oak aged in French and American oak.  For me the aroma was vanilla (plain and simple).  The flavor on my palate ... sorry to say, nothing since it was overpowered by acidity.  I was  hoping for a little creaminess and buttery, but ... nothing.  As with previous vintages, I was not a fan.  This met with a lot of mixed reviews from customers.  Maybe you'll find this Chardonnay more enjoyable. Let me know.
  
Also at this tasting I was pouring Francis Coppola 2010 Bianco (see my review in two days). Bianco was the preferred white wine. 

Winemaker's Notes:  "Following its brilliant, silver straw-yellow hue, this Chardonnay has intense primary aromas of apple blossom, ripe pear and sweet lemon drop, complemented by toasty oak, spice and cream. The wine’s silky smooth texture is overlaid with bright juicy flavors of rich, ripe apple and pear, lingering into a fresh, satisfying finish.

Food Pairings:  This rich, silky Chardonnay is ideal with lobster and other shellfish, especially if served in a butter or cream sauce, roasted poultry or other white meats, creamy pasta dishes, a buttery mushroom omelet or any meal tinged with sweet spices, like cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger."

No comments:

Post a Comment