Friday, June 8, 2012

Robert Mondavi Napa Valley Fume Blanc, 2008

It's been a while since I've reviewed wine.  In all  honesty my focus has been on dieting - lots of exercise and counting calories.  However, I have not stopped drinking wine.  I always budget calories so I can enjoy a glass (or two) every night while I cook, and if there aren't any calories in the diet for a glass, I have one anyway! 

I'll get back on track with Robert Mondavi's Fume Blanc.  In 1996 Robert Mondavi released the first Fume Blanc.  Fume Blanc is not a varietal/grape, but in fact Sauvignon Blanc.  Some winemakers oak age their Fume Blanc, others blend it (i.e. with Semillion).  Because  this was "the original" Fume Blanc, and not one of Robert Mondavi's lower tier wines (I'm not a fan of those), I had to purchase it to taste and review.  

Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc, 2008 ($14 Costco) is from Napa Valley, California.  40% of the grapes come from Mondavi Winery in the Stags Leap District, 20% from their Winery in Oakville, and the remainder sourced from other Napa and northern California wineries.  This is 92% Sauvignon Blanc, blended with 8% Semillion and is oak aged for four months.  The color is pale with a green tinge.  I found the aroma to be citrus, grassy and melon.  The flavor was a flash of melon, with minerality.  Nicely balanced.  Crisp and refreshing.  Another easy pairing wine and is great for the summertime. I've added this to my long list of enjoyable wines.  

Winemaker's Notes:  In 1966, Robert Mondavi created the first Fumé Blanc—a barrel-aged Sauvignon Blanc. This 2008 bottling continues that innovative tradition. Intense primary aromas of lemongrass mingle with the subtle scent of lime blossoms and hints of sage and spice. Mouth filling flavors of crisp yellow peach are couched in a very smooth, rounded texture.  Thanks to smaller yields for this variety in 2008, the wine has excellent density, flavors are concentrated and this youthful Sauvignon Blanc is already very expressive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment