Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Francis Coppola Rosso, 2010

I will admit up front that I am a fan of Francis Coppola wines.  Lower tier, upper tier, white, red, dry, fruity, sparkling ... I haven't met a Coppola wine I didn't like.

This past Saturday I poured Francis Coppola 2010 Rosso ($10) from California.   A nice medium-full body red wine, this is a blend of 33% Zinfandel, 20% Sirah, 24% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 17% Petite Sirah. The aroma was cherry with a spice flavor.  I did not detect any fruit on my palate nor did my customers (see winemaker's notes below).  Rosso is not complex, but nicely balanced.  Although customers enjoyed this, they did prefer Clos du Bois 2010 Rouge (see review from two days ago).  I did enjoy Rosso but not as much as previous vintages.

Winemaker's Notes:  "Our 2010 Francis Coppola Rosso offers a supple texture, mild tannins and juicy flavors of  berries, cherries and fragrant spices. Well-balanced and highly versatile with food, Rosso pairs perfectly with anything from penne with sausage to barbecued spareribs or beef stew.


Tasting Profile:

     Appearance: Garnet red
     Aromas: Raspberries, cherries and cola
     Flavors: Plums, wild berries, cloves and vanilla"

No comments:

Post a Comment