Thursday, April 19, 2012

Concannon Selected Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc, 2011

I enjoy a good Sauvignon Blanc and at this time of year I get excited when my tastings include a Sauvignon Blanc. Recently I tasted out a Sauvignon Blanc that I had not had before.  

Concannon 2011 Sauvignon Blanc ($10) is from Central Coast, California.  This is 98% Sauvignon Blanc blended with 2% Riesling.  The aroma is peach and lemon.  The flavor was a mild grapefruit with a tart finish.  Some of my customer discussions revolved around our perceptions of the tartness.  I thought a pith tart, some thought Granny Smith apple, and the Winemaker's Notes say gooseberry.  In any case, the tart finish was agreed on by all.  Very popular with my customers.   This is a great summertime wine.  Not a bold fruit forward wine like New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs, but a refreshing change.   

Winemaker's Notes:  "Selected Vineyards is a crisp and refreshing, food-friendly wine. Th is wine has a brilliant straw hue with notes of gooseberry. e palate is slightly tropical with a good depth of fruit. Cool stainless steel fermentation keeps the flavors bright and lively, and the medium body is slightly rounded in feel, leading to a crisp finish.  

Food Pairing: Herb-roasted chicken or your favorite shell sh dish."

No comments:

Post a Comment