Thursday, December 29, 2011

Ruffino Prosecco and Riondo Prosecco

This year Ruffino released a new Prosecco.  With the holidays, and customers wanting recommendations, this was something I had to taste and review.  My personal preference between Cava and Prosecco is Prosecco.  On my palate, I find Prosecco to be less dry and more enjoyable.   

Ruffino Prosecco ($14) is from Italy and 100% Prosecco. Crisp and refreshing with a hint of lemon and minerality.  It was great with my appetizer of  arugala, burrata, and prosciutto.  

Winemaker's Notes:  "Color: Bright straw yellow with fine bubbles.  

Aroma: The bouquet is fragrant and intensely fruity. It shows clean notes of apples, pears and citrus, accompanied by slight hints of hawthorn, wisteria and elder.  

Tasting profile: Crisp, clean and delicate with fine bubble caressing the palate. Intense sensations of apples and peaches drive a pleasant aftertaste, that is reminiscent of fruity and floral aromas.  

Pairings: Ideal as an aperitif; it is very versatile as a food companion. Ruffino Prosecco perfectly matches with pizza, fish and shellfish dishes as well as white meat dishes. 

Best when young; drink within four months from the purchase." 

My favorite Prosecco has always been Riondo Prosecco ($14) reviewed on April 24th.  I  did do a comparison tasting between this and the Ruffino.  I was hard pressed to tell the difference, but find the Riondo had a hint more lemon on the palate.  I would purchase either of these in  heartbeat.  Resolving the dilemma of which Prosecco to buy would be based on availability and/or price (should one be on sale). 

No comments:

Post a Comment