Thursday, March 31, 2011

discovercaliforniawine.com

In my post on March 15th I listed several websites that I'd been referencing to help plan my trip to Napa and Sonoma.  The one site I had not fully utilized was www.discovercaliforniawine.com.  This morning I was using it.  It offers so much information. 

1.  There are links to numerous regional wine associations.  These links have information on wineries, events, hotels, and restaurants. A plethora of information that can become overwhelming.   But if you do your searching in small segments you'll navigate just fine. 

2.  Search for wineries.  Wineries are available by name (e.g. Ferrari-Carano, Sechesio), region (ie. Sonoma County), based on amenities (e.g. caves, family friendly), and based on varietal (ie. Chardonnay). 

3.  Creating your own tour is also an option.  You select the wineries you want to visit (from their menu), in the order in which you want to drive, create what they call a "tour", and then you select "driving directions".  Very easy to use.

Today I played with the last option - creating my own tour.  Unfortunately, all the wineries I want to visit are not on this website so I can not include them in my tour.  However, I can add these addresses to the directions.  But,  it is difficult to insert an address into the tour I created (unless it is at the end) AND I cannot save this new tour.  If all the wineries you want to visit are on  www.discovercaliforniawine.com then "tour" is a great tool.  If all the wineries are not available, then your best bet is to go to MapQuest.

I liked using this website and will continue to use it as I plan my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment