Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lander-Jenkins Cabernet and Costello del Poggio Moscato

At Saturday's tasting I poured four wines.  Yesterday I reviewed  Beach House Sauvignon Blanc and Murphy-Goode The Fumé.  Today I review Lander-Jenkins 2008 Cabernet ($12) and Costello del Poggio Moscato ($9 to $14).

Lander-Jenkins 2008 Spirit Hawk Cabernet is a blend of 86% Cabernet, 10% Merlot, 2% Zinfandel, and 2% Barbera.  The grapes are sourced from California vineyards in Paso Robles, Napa, and other select California sites that provide the flavor profiles that Lander-Jenkins is seeking.  I found this had a nice cherry and berry flavor profile.  Something I would serve with either meats or hamburgers. Customers enjoyed this wine.   

Winemaker's Notes:  Aromas of dark cherry, blueberry, vanilla with notes of cigar box and toasty oak. Velvety flavors of Bing cherry, currant. This full-bodied wine has rich tannins and a long, smooth finish. 

Costello del Poggio is from the Piedmont region of Italy and "the" wine that Olive Garden sells.  I cannot tell you how often customers ask me "do you have the Olive Garden wine?"  This is very popular with everyone who enjoys a sweet wine.  A little frizzante on your palate, sweet and fruit forward.  If you enjoy sweet wines, you can't miss with this one!

Winemaker's Notes:  (not available)

No comments:

Post a Comment