Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Rapidan River Chocolate

Saturday's tasting was on two wines.  One I will review and the other ... I'm so tired of it. 

Rapidan River Chocolate is a new wine from Prince Michel Winery in Virginia.  This was added to their line of flavored wines which includes Peach, Raspberry, and Blackberry (all very fruity as their name indicates).  

Rapidan River Chocolate has a bold aroma of chocolate and hazelnuts with the same distinct flavor.  However, there was also a slight acidity.  Customer's enjoyed this wine and I just loved hearing them say, "oh wow" as they brought the tasting cup to their lips.  The aroma was amazing. 

Winemaker's Notes:  This sweet Red wine is composed mainly of Merlot blended with a proprietary selection of natural White Cocoa, Dark Chocolate and Hazelnut flavors. The Merlot was fermented in the autumn following harvest. The wine was naturally sweetened and then blended with the natural flavors just prior to bottling.

Two other Virginia chocolate wines are: Horton's XOXO and Cooper Vineyards Noche.  I have tasted Noche.  It has a nice chocolate flavor and no acidity; smooth.

The above chocolate wines are not creamy like ChocoVine.

The other wine tasted was Clos du Bois Chardonnay which I first reviewed on March 18th.  I cannot give this wine away.  Customers do not enjoy and neither do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment