Thursday, March 15, 2012

Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, 2008

When doing my wine tastings customers always ask for wine recommendations.  When it's come to Italian wine they have been asking me my thoughts on Cantina Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo.  The piece of vine tied to the label was catching their eye.  (Just like it did for me on their Pinot Grigio which I reviewed on January 28, 2012.)  I had not tasted it before, nor had I received any comments on it from customers.  You know me ... I had to taste.  

Cantina Zaccagnini 2008 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo is from Montepulciano DOC, Italy.  It is 100% Montelpuciano d'Abruzzo and is aged for 4 months in Slavonic oak barrels.  The color is a dark red.  The aroma is dark fruit, earthiness and tobacco.  The flavor has a hint of dark fruit with spice, earthiness and tobacco.  After breathing the acidity and tannins smoothed out, as did the spice, the earthiness and tobacco was no longer noticeable.  Nice.  Enjoyable.  

Winemaker's Notes: Intense ruby red colour with violet nuances; intense characteristic bouquet of the primary grape aromas; fruity component, full-bodied and robust, well-balanced with tannin and oak features.

No comments:

Post a Comment