Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dead Letter Office Shiraz, 2007

When I do my tastings I always take the opportunity to taste wines the other distributors are pouring.  I get excited when they pour a bottle of wine that is outside my budget.  The latest wine I tasted was Dead Letter Office Shiraz.

Dead Letter Office 2007 Shiraz ($30) is from Australia.  It is 100% Shiraz with grapes coming from two regions - 67% McLaren Vale, 33% Padthaway.  It is aged in 90% American oak and 10% French oak using 1 and 2 year old barrels.  Alcohol is slightly higher than most at 15%.  The color a deep purple.  I found the aroma to be  fruit, leather, smoke, spice.  On my palate the flavor was a flash of berry fruit followed by tobacco, and spice.  Medium tannins that are nicely integrated.  Smooth.  A definite favorite.  

Winemaker's Notes:  "This McLaren Vale/Padthaway blend of Shiraz offers a lovely red and blueberry fruit aroma lift, with complex characters of red liquorice, cinnamon and vanilla spice and hints of brioche savouriness.   

The palate starts with lots of juicy McLaren Vale upfront berry and redcurrant fruit and is quite dense and tarry with spicy notes, the Padthaway characters come through in the mid palate with hints of spearmint and lavender that freshen and lengthen the wine. It has ripe, soft tannins and is very round and mouth filling, with fresh acidity."

No comments:

Post a Comment