Monday, March 5, 2012

NxNW Riesling, 2010

Dang!  Thought I was on a roll with reviewing wines, but alas, I slacked off.  

I love my wine tastings - meeting great customers, having enjoyable conversations, and tasting different wines.  The down side ... for 3 hours I talk about food and wine, and look at the food and wine that surrounds me.  Needless to say, I get hungry and want to taste every new wine that's come into the store, not to mention those wines that customers recommend to me.  So  much wine, so little time!   

With that said, after looking at an intriguing label  on a new wine in the store, I had to taste it.  I know customers will be asking me about it and I want to be prepared.  

NxNW 2010 Riesling ($13) is from King Estate Winery in the Horse Heaven Hills AVA, Washington.  I must say this was a very nice Riesling and very different.  Complex.  NxNW is a dry Riesling.  The aroma I detected was floral and lemon.  The flavor was mineral with a hint of fruit and a tart citrus finish.  There were moments where I would have thought this was a Pinot Grigio.  At one point while I was tasting I had a few wasabi peas.  Wow!  It was a great pairing and really smoothed out the wine.  Crisp.  Refreshing.  Balanced.  I'd say the Winemaker's Notes are spot on.  I may have only been able to pick out a few of the aromas and flavors, but everyone's palate is different so I know there are those of you who will pick out other flavors.  If you enjoy a drier Riesling, give this one a taste.  

Winemaker's Notes:  Appearance - pale straw with golden hues; Aroma - banana, pineapple, guava, lemon, floral minerality; Flavor - banana, pear, apple, lime, lemon zest, tangerine, minerality; Mouthfeel - dry and crisp with some weight and well balanced lingering acidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment