Thursday, March 8, 2012

Jam Jar Moscato, 2011

I enjoy wines from South Africa.  They are a nice change of pace with a hint of grassiness in the flavor profile.  While wandering the wine section of Costco I came across Jam Jar Moscato.  I wondered if a Moscato from South Africa would have a hint of grassiness or be your typical sweet Moscato.  Only one way to find out - I had to taste it.  I'm glad I did.  What a nice surprise.  

Jam Jar 2011 Moscato ($8 in Costco) is from South Africa and 100% Muscat grapes.  The aroma is fruity and peach.  The flavor also peach and I'd say the Winemaker's Notes are spot on with apricot, lychee and orange blossom.  If I didn't know this was a Moscato I would have guessed this was a late harvest riesling.  It was not overly sweet and I would drink this with a meal.  

Winemaker's Notes:  This charming, easy-drinking Moscato offers juicy flavors of peach, apricot, lychee and orange blossom. A lively jolt of acidity keeps it fresh, fruity and fun. Fancy enough for a special occasion toast, yet sweet-natured enough to enjoy every day, this bright and cheerful bottling is sure to capture your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment