Sunday, March 25, 2012

Live a Little Wildly Wicked White

My wine tasting this weekend was not at Fresh Market but a Kroger.  I missed my regular Fresh Market customers but Kroger was a welcome change because I was pouring new wines.  I cannot tell you how tired I am of tasting out Clos du Bois and Robert Mondavi Private Selection Chardonnays.    

I've also decided that at the end  my wine reviews to occasionally include a customer intereaction.  There are some interactions I have with customers where mentally I'm saying to them, "Seriously?!  Drink wine much?"  The end of today's review will be my first customer blurb.  But first, the wine ...   

Live a Little Wildly Wicked White ($8) is a non-vintage wine from Stellar Organic Winery in South Africa. This is an organic wine with no added sulfites and a blend of Chenin Blanc and Sauvignon Blanc.  In conversations with customers what their palate and my palate detected was not the same as the Winemaker's Notes (below).  The aroma was grapefruit with a hint of herbaciousness.  The flavor was a mild grapefruit and grassy.  Customers enjoyed this wine and I sold out.   

Winemaker's Notes:  This Chenin Blanc/Sauvignon Blanc blend has a quiet nose of elderflower, sherbet lemonade and ginger ale. On the taste a good fruity entry of guava and ripe red apple. The smooth taste, lack of aggressive acids and good mouth feel is the result of extensive lees stirring.  Suggested food pairings:  Chicken salad, sushi.   


Customer Interaction
While one customer was tasting this wine all he kept repeating to me was, "I can't drink this it has too many tannins.  Oh, way too many tannins."  I kept my mouth shut, but mentally I wanted to scream, "WHITE WINE DOES NOT HAVE TANNINS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment