Friday, March 16, 2012

Chateau Ste. Michelle Merlot,, 2008

Chateau Ste. Michelle wines are some of my favorites.  I know customers always rave about their Chardonnay.  I was so excited last weekend when I tasted out their Merlot.

Chateau Ste. Michelle 2008 Merlot ($17) is from the Columbia Valley in Washington.  This is 91% Merlot blended with 7% Syrah, 1% Cabernet Franc, and 1% Cabernet Sauvignon; aged for 15 months in American and French oak (31% new).  A medium bodied wine.  Alas, no aroma in the plastic tasting cup (this drives me insane and makes me want to bring a wine glass with me).  There was a light fruit flavor with leather and a hint of spice. Low tannins that are nicely integrated.  Customers enjoyed. 

Winemaker's Notes:  “We craft this wine to be our complex yet approachable Merlot. The wine offers aromas of black cherry, leather and spice with layers of rich dark red fruit flavors.  A touch of Syrah adds a jammy fruit character. I think of this wine as a great “everyday red.”


Food Pairing:
     Foods:   beef, lamb, grilled salmon, hearty pastas
     Herbs:   basill, oregano
     Spice:    allspice, nutmeg, star anise"

No comments:

Post a Comment