Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Arcangelo Negroamaro, 2009

During my tasting this past weekend I had the time to look at the various wines in stock.  One in particular caught my eye.  It was from the Negroamaro* grape.  Because of the wine intensive I attended at the Culinary Institute, with Karen MacNeil this past May, all I could hear was Karen's voice saying, "try a varietal you've never had before". 

Aarcangelo 2009 ($13) is from Palama winery.  A dark ruby red color.  Alcohol  12.5%.  The aroma and flavor are cherry cola with tobacco, earthiness and oak.  Medium bodied wine that is low in tannins and nicely balanced.  I'm so glad Karen MacNeil put the thought in my head to taste new varietals. 

Winemaker's Notes:  (Not available) 

*Negroamaro is Italian for "dark and bitter".  This is a dark skined grape from Southern Italy.




No comments:

Post a Comment