Thursday, August 18, 2011

Red Vin, 2009

Yesterday I wanted to browse for wine so I headed over to Total Wine.  Since I'm always at Kroger, Fresh Market and Costco, and purchase my wines there, I have not been to Total Wine in ages.  One wine caught my eye, only because a customer was asking me about it this past weekend.  On top of that, there was Karen MacNeils voice (again) ... "try a varietal you've never had before". 

Red Vin 2009 Sweet Red ($8) is from the Rheinhessen region in Germany.  The varietal in this wine is the Dornfelder grape.  A rich dark purple color, this wine has  9.5% alcohol.  The aroma is plum and earthiness.  Flavor: plum.  Low in tannins.  A nice off-dry wine.  I would pair this with food.

Winemaker's Notes:  Our Sweet Red combines silky tannins with flavors of raspberry and plum and a pleasant sweetness.  Pair with cheese, spicy Asian Cuisine or just have by itself.  Serve lightly chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment