Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Copa di Vino - Riesling and Cabernet Sauvignon

Dave and I were watching an episode of Shark Tank the other night.  One of the entrepreneurs was looking for a $600,000 investment in his company Copa di Vino (translation "wine by the glass").  Wow! I knew the product. It was sold in Kroger.  At $4.99 per cup it was nothing I'd ever consider purchasing; too expensive.

All the Sharks were given a Copa di Vino to taste. One Shark, Kevin Leary (a.k.a. Mr. Wonderful) made a comment that the wine wasn't very good.  With that I figured he was a wine snob and just maybe I'd splurge and buy a cup to taste.  When I went to my local Kroger the Copa di Vino was on sale for $2.99.   I spoke with the Kroger wine consultant and they told me that the wine wasn't selling at $4.99 so the price was reduced. 

I purchased Copa di Vino Riesling and Copa di Vino Cabernet Sauvignon.  Let me just sum it up for you here about both wines and put the Winemaker's notes below.  AWFUL.  Kevin Leary is not a wine snob. My apologies for thinking that.  The wine is not very good.  The packaging is a nice idea but the wine ... NOT so much.  I cannot even begin to describe the flavor; off flavor and the Cabernet was bitter. After a couple sips it went down the drain. 

At best this is a novelty item.  The idea of having the wine in a disposable glass is nice, but for the price and flavor, I'd rather bring an everyday wine, disposable glasses and a corkscrew.  Think about it and do the math ... 4  Copa di Vino is the equivalent of 1 bottle of wine.  4 (Copa di Vino) x $3 (each) = $12.  For $12 dollars you can purchase a nice everyday wine and non-breakable glasses.

Overall, save your money.  Buy a bottle of wine. 

Oh, and as for the $600,000 investment.  The Sharks were only interested in the packaging and not the wine.  The entrepreneur was not interested in selling the packaging and said the wine was well worth it.  There was no deal. There was no investment.  The wine is not worth it, but the packaging for selling wine at stadiums was a great idea.


Copa di Vino Riesling
Winemaker's Notes:  WA Riesling shines here! Loaded with richly sweet fruit up front, followed by brisk acidity that balances the weight of the wine. Flavors persist long after wine is swallowed.





Copa di Vino Cabernet Sauvignon
Winemaker's Notes:  Sense of restraint is shown here in a wonderful way. The Cab focuses on WA fruit flavors without being overripe and heavy like so many nondescript wines today. It reveals aromas and flavors of slightly dusty, red cherry and berry up front followed by a more powerful black cherry undercurrent.

3 comments:

  1. I disagree....I am having a glass of the riesling right now and I think it is pretty good! I was pleassantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just also had my first glass of Riesling and I think this just may have become my favorite wine. Love the taste............

      Delete
  2. I have had the merlot and the pinot grigio and both are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete