Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Terra d' Oro Zinfandel and Montevina Zinfandel

Ahhh, browsing the wine section of the grocery store ... something I always have to do when I grocery shop.  I'm always in search of something new to taste.  This time I found myself looking at Zinfandels. Even though it was summer and hot I was in the mood for a red wine and a juicy steak.  Two wines from Montevina Winery in Amador County, California caught my eye. I LOVE Montevina's Zinfandel Port, so I had to purchase both of these Zinfandels and compare.

Terra d' Oro 2007 Zinfandel ($16).  A rich, dark purple color.  The aroma was cassis, smokey, and jammy.  The flavor was a spice, leather, and smokey with a hint of chocolate and cassis.  A full body wine with low tannins and long finish.  Nicely balanced.  

Winemaker's Notes:  The 2007 Terra d'Oro Amador County Zinfandel showcases the joy of Zin, with a kick! The nose is welcoming with aromas of cloves, allspice, and a dash of cinnamon, all sprinkled over a bowl of ripe blackberries. The dark, juicy fruit continues in the mouth, as plums and black cherries enter the melange. The wine finishes with a true taste of Amador County as the "Shenandoah Spice" lingers along the warm toasty notes of vanilla and molasses. This Zin showcases the unique characters found in Amador County, bringing them together with balance and respect. Enjoy!

Montevina 2006 Zinfandel ($9.79).  A dark ruby red color.  The aroma was charred wood with a hint of herbs.  The flavor was spice and the wine had a thin mouthfeel; medium body.  I was missing the fruit forwardness (see Winemaker's Notes below).  The finish was long and tannins low.  Also, balanced.

Winemaker's Notes:  Our Zin happily embraces its wild-at-heart legacy. It’s fruit-forward and sassy, with irresistible cassis and pepper aromas, and lush blackberry, ripe plum and spice flavors followed by a long, smooth finish. If you’re looking for a rollicking good time on the palate, this Zinfandel is for you.

Both Zinfandels were enjoyable.  Terra d' Oro was the bolder of the two.  I enjoyed these with my rib eye.  I also used these in two separate batches of a hearty  meat pasta sauce I was preparing.  Also, YUM!  You can't go wrong with either of these wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment