Thursday, August 25, 2011

Wine Men of Gotham Shiraz, 2008

While pouring for my tasting on Saturday, I had the opportunity to taste a wine from another distributor.  I always taste their wines so I become familiar with them and can recommend them (or not) to customers.

Wine Men of Gotham 2008 Shiraz is from Australia.  The grapes are from several regions: Fleurieu Peninsula, Langhorne, and McLaren Vale. 20% of the wine is aged in American oak and the remainder in stainless steel.  In a plastic tasting cup, I was not able to detect an aroma.  The flavor was raspberry and spice with a flash of chocolate.  However, the finish was medicinal.  Based on the label alone I wouldn't purchase this wine.  Based on flavor ... no, the medicinal finish turned me off.  I wonder how it would pair with food. 

Winemaker's Notes: The nose is heady with loads of superb rich chocolate and savoury notes.  The palate is rich and defined with rich flavours and great mouth feel.  The palate progresses from ...chocolate, plums, spice and toasty oak then to an elegant tannic finish.  Lingering on for minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment