Sunday, May 29, 2011

California - Day 14 (Coppola Alicante Bouschet, 2008)

Our last day in California and sorry to say there was NO wine involved. We packed our bags and wine (14 bottles) and returned the rental car at the airport.  We drove 1,792 miles!  Vacation is officially over.  Dave and I went into this with some wine knowledge, but after the CIA class we learned so much  more, tasted great wines, and put into practice what we learned.  A phenomenal trip!


Since there was no wine tasted I thought I'd review Coppola 2008 Alicante Bouschet 

When I saw this new varietal I just had to taste it.  It had a rich dark color.  The aroma was black cherry, raspberry, mocha, and vanilla.  It was jammy with a flavor of baked fruit, tart cherry, and spice.  Medium body, silky and long finish.  A complex wine with the aroma and flavors changing like a Pinot Noir.

Winemaker's Notes:  Our Alicante Bouschet is made from the fruit of 85-year-old vines. Rich in color (purple magenta), aromas of wild berries, allspice, and toasted oak, and loaded with lush, jammy fruit (black cherries, plums, mocha, and earthy spices),  this smooth medium-bodied red is richly textured and long on the finish. It pairs well with foods such as lamb chops, shepherd’s pie and creamy gorgonzola pasta.  

Since I see a lot of the Coppola wines on the store shelves, I'm going to ask my Kroger wine consultant if they can order this for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment