Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Ferrari-Carano Fumé Blanc, 2009 and 2010

One of the wineries I want to visit on my trip to Sonoma, California is Ferrari-Carano.  I thought I'd try one of their wines before my trip so I purchased the 2009 Fumé Blanc.  (I enjoy Fumé Blanc as a change of pace from Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc.)  On my next trip to the grocery store I noticed the 2010 was on the shelves so I had to purchase that and do a tasting comparison.  

The Ferrari-Carano 2009 Fumé Blanc is 100% Sauvignon Blanc and aged 64% in stainless steel and 36% older French oak.  The aroma was oak and butter, reminding me of a Chardonnay.  However, the flavor was grapefruit and citrus.  Light, crisp, refreshing, enjoyable.  

Winemaker's NotesCitrus, mango, kiwi, and lime aromas are complemented by flavors of vanilla, guava and grapefruit in Ferrari-Carano’s 2009 Fumé Blanc. Cool, stainless steel tank fermentation gives this wine a crisp freshness while the subtle oak character from barrel aging adds great complexity and depth.  

The Ferrari-Carano 2010 Fumé Blanc is 100% Sauvignon Blanc and aged 65% in stainless steel and 35% older French oak.  The aroma was grapefruit, grass, and melon.  The flavor was grass and grapefruit.  Also, light, crisp, refreshing, and enjoyable. This was lighter than the 2009 and had more character.     

Winemaker's Notes:  "Aromas of lime, kiwi, citrus, melon and a touch of grass are complemented by flavors of grapefruit, lemon, mango, and guava in Ferrari-Carano's 2010 Fumé Blanc. Cool, stainless steel tank fermentation gives this wine a crisp freshness while the subtle oak character from barrel aging adds complexity and depth.    

Our Fumé Blanc pairs well with simple seafood and poultry dishes, and also holds up nicely with white meats such as veal and pork. The wine has lively flavors that go well with spicy and ethnic cuisines such as Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Mexican and Southwestern dishes."   

Both Ferrari-Carano Fumé Blancs were enjoyable. It was fun doing a side by side tasting to see how different they were from each other. I can't wait to go to the winery and taste other varietals they have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment