Saturday, May 21, 2011

California - Day 6 (CIA Mastering Wine 1 Class)

I venture in to the day with more knowledge and confidence.  Ready to swirl, sip, spit and analyze Pinot Noir.  The routine is the same - off to the CIA student kitchen for breakfast and then on to class.  When I walk into class the familiar setting of glasses are waiting.  Looks like we'll be tasting nine Pinot Noirs this afternoon. 

Wine tasting at Domaine Carneros
Karen starts the class with a discussion on AVA's in Napa and those in Europe (AOC, DOC, DO).  After which we board the bus for today's field trip to Domaine Carneros for a horizontal tasting of Pinot Noir from the Carneros region.

At Domain Carneros we are greeted by two winemakers.  TJ Evans from Domain Carneros and Nicole from Abiouness.  We all swirl, sniff, sip,  spit, and analyze our eight wines (in flights of four) making notes as we taste.  I now notice how over the last four days we have become a very quiet, focused, analytic group of tasters.  Just short of  intense.  After we've tasted the flight of wines, going one wine at a time, discussion begins (our "wine speak" is getting much better).  One person is picked by Karen to kick off the discussion with their wine analysis, after which we  add our comments and observations.    Nicole, TJ, and Karen then add their comments and observations.  You find yourself going back and tasting again and again, as necessary, for comparison.  Re-tasting the wines to see if the taste someone's mentioned that you didn't taste is  now one you  find.   It totally boggled my mind that Pinot Noir is ever changing on your palate.  With the first taste you find aromas and flavors.  Second taste, there are some of the same, others may drop off, and yet others are now present.  Your third taste the same, etc.  It's an amazing wine.  Complex.  This tasting was very interesting and informative.  

My personal best at this tasting was one of the wines had an  aroma and flavor of ... here's my memory note - dirty diapers.  However, in wine speak "fecal".  Either way, nasty is nasty.  I would have thought this was a "wine gone bad", but France has some Brett in it and is purposely made in this manner.  Mental note to self, no red wine from France.

At the end of our tasting it's back on the bus to the CIA for another yummy lunch.

When class begins our topic is "what makes red wine red?"  It's not as basic as the juice comes in contact with the skins.  Yes, it's in contact, but the fermentation process is the reason - pumping over or punching down. Then ... our Pinot Noir tasting.  

Tasting, tasting, and more tasting is what I had to do.  (As did everyone in the class.)  My notes kept changing and at times as someone discussed their wine characteristics I wasn't even close, making me wonder if we even tasted the same wine.  I had one flavor of seaweed.  What!?  Okay, I have the confidence to write it down, yet not enough confidence to speak up.  I mean really, seaweed?  But then someone chimes in with the same flavor profile that I was getting.  Wow, does this ever prove to me that everyone's palate is different.

Class lets out in time for Dave and I to go to a winery.  Even though we are on the brink of being wined out, off we go.  We decide on Artesa.  The property is lovely.  Their fees are $10 for a classic tasting and $15 for a limited release/reserve tasting.  We get one of each so we can share and taste all the wines being offered.  Although the wines are not the flavor profiles I would typically purchase, they were nice.  You guessed it, I'll review them at another time; after I return home from California. 

Dinner tonight was at Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen, in St. Helena, one of Cindy Pawlcyn's restaurants.  Such a quaint restaurant and from the outside unassuming.  The service was fabulous.  Relaxing, prompt but at a leisurely pace where you don't feel rushed.  Staff is very friendly.  Food - excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment