Sunday, May 15, 2011

California - Day 1

Left the kids and dog at home and flew to California yesterday.  I am armed with my internet research on various wineries and coupons, and I have wine country brochures from the airport and hotel. My GPS is packed and OpenTable and Yelp are on my cell  phone.  Lots of options and plenty of flexibility.  Dave (my husband) and I are ready to navigate wine country!  

Our first stop on the way to wine country was San Francisco.  We spent the night there and went to dinner on Fisherman's Wharf.  I had two enjoyable wines and delicious food at The Franciscan Crab Restaurant.  We had a window table overlooking the Bay, Angels Island and Alcatraz.  Watching boats sail.  Relaxing!

The first wine I tasted was Ruggeri Gold Prosecco (NV) from Italy.  Not as dry as the Prosecco I typically enjoy, this was a nice refreshing change with bubbles that dance on  your tongue.  A light fruity aroma with a light fruit flavor.  It paired perfectly with my salad of smoked salmon, rocket arugula, red onion, capers, and avocado with a blue cheese vinaigrette.  When I tasted the Prosecco and my meal together it was "OMG" heavenly and delicious.

Winemaker's Notes:  Gold Label’s crystal clarity is laced with a persistent perlage of minute bubbles. The bouquet, although vibrant and intensely fruity, is extremely delicate bringing readily to mind mature golden apples and acacia flowers. It is gently sweet and fresh on the palate and pleasantly light in alcohol. This prosecco can be enjoyed equally well before dinner as an aperitif or as an enhancement to the end of a meal.

The second wine I tasted was Honig 2010 Sauvignon Blanc from Napa Valley.  I differ quite a bit from the Winemaker's Notes below.  This was not a fruit forward wine and was missing the grapefruit citrus flavor profile.  It was very light with a mineral aroma and flavor with a hint of fruit.  I must say enjoyable and paired nicely with my appetizer of Prosciutto and Burrata.   

Winemaker's Notes:  Aromas of orange blossom and grapefruit are accompanied by lemon, melon, peach, and nectarine flavors that are ripe, juicy and refreshing. Medium bodied, with a crisp, refreshing, slightly minerally finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment