Thursday, January 26, 2012

Kris Heart Rosso, 2009

I must say that tasting wines that are not your "basic" varietals has been quite nice.  For a while I thought I was stuck in a rut.  So, in keeping with your non-basic varietal, the latest wine is an Italian red blend from Kris.  

Kris 2009 Heart Rosso ($9.50) is from Italy and new on  the market.  It is a blend of 50% Merlot, 25% Montepulciano, and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon.  The grapes are from Sicily, Marche, and the alpine foothills of Alto Adige (respectively).   I found the Winemaker's notes (below) for the nose to be the aroma I found -  blackberry, black currant, leather - with also a bit of earthiness and meatiness.  The fruit escaped my palate in the flavor, but I did taste, leather, spice, and a hint of earthiness.  Medium acidity.  Very low tannins. Medium-full body.  I really wasn't a fan of this wine as there was more acidity than I enjoy in a wine and it was not balanced.

Winemaker's Notes:  KRIS Heart Rosso is garnet in color with intense aromas of dense blackberries, spicy currants and leather. Ripe fruit flavors are balanced by lively acidity, making this an excellent wine to enjoy with roasted meats, rich pasta dishes, pizza, sausages, and cheeses.

No comments:

Post a Comment