Monday, January 23, 2012

Volver, 2009

A number of customers at Fresh Market have been asking my opinion of Volver.  Having never tasted it, I wasn't able to provide them with any information.  However, it always sold out and this peaked my curiosity.  Not to mention, I've been stuck on your "basic" varietals and needed a change of pace.  You know it - I had to taste it.  

Volver, 2009  ($15) is from  La Manca, Spain.  It is a single vineyard wine from Bodegas Volver, S.L.  Volver is 100% Tempranillo and aged in new French oak for 14 months.  The color is a deep rich purple.  It is light to medium body (thin mouthfeel).  Alcohol is 15%.  The aroma was berry, tobacco, coffee and a hint of woodiness.  The flavor was tobacco and earthy, and overpowered by acidity.  Not balanced.  I wasn't a fan.  Too many other wines out there that I prefer.   

Winemaker's Notes:  This single vineyard-designated wine has plenty of red cherries, blueberries, mulberries and red raisins, depicting grapes pushed to full ripeness without going beyond the boundary into excessive over ripeness. The oak character is relatively elegant with toasty, coffee hints only, and the balanced wine shows some lingering length as well. Drink now or in the next five or so years.

No comments:

Post a Comment